At Last!

Monday, January 13, 2014

I am glad to have completed a few things that I have been procrastinating. I guess I am still in holiday mood, hehe... Anyway, I am super happy now!!

Does the pic below look unreal? It is real! I can't believe I could actually grow African violet. The little plant has been doing so well. I have really enjoyed watching the dainty blooms opening and how the stalks of flowers actually flourish and buds blossom. 



Here is another pic for admiration :-)...




I managed to give some attention to my terrariums. See the ferns and bubble plants inside... they have overgrown! Took a pair of shears and snipped a couple of big fronds and a few tips of the bubble plants stems. 



Ta da...



As for the other terrarium, although the Snakeskin plants (Fittonia albivenis) have grown much taller, touching the ceiling, I think I can still keep them as they are for a while more. 



Returned the lid and park the jar at one corner of my kitchen sink, below the African violet ;-) Could not have done this if the Snakeskin plant was not in a bottle!



Meanwhile, finally, finally I could see a variegated Gardenia flower blossom in my garden...



I am not sure if it is the bird or an insect that has been attacking my hibiscus and gardenias. The buds of these plants kept 'disappearing'! Do you know which creature loves to eat them?



I have lots of pots hence a lot of weeding to be done. One pot that I particularly dislike is this one with Crossandra infundibuliformis 'Lutea'. The plant is slow growing and tend to leave a lot of empty spaces at the bottom. Hence weeds love to flourish in this pot. And I have to keep pulling them... sigh!



After some hard work... it feels so good to see flowers opening nicely such as this Crucifix Orchid (Epidendrum ibaguense)...



And my little Azalea... 



Have a great gardening week!

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. Que fofura estas plantinhas
    os terrários tenho vontade de fazer , mas o tempo está limitado.
    beijos
    http://eueminhasplantinhas.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simone, it is really enjoyable to watch plants growing inside the terrarium. Plus the fact that I don't have to water them at all! Hope you will be able to find some time to make a terrarium :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello Bangchik and Kakdah! They are still blooming now and yes they are perfect purple flowers... very pretty hehe...

      Delete
  3. Your African violets are simply stunning!! Even the leaves look so good...another unique collection I must say. Hope your azalea blooms profusely later!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kanak! The leaves look good? Ok noted. Now I wish I could grow more AV now but have to find space to for the plant to settle...

      Delete
  4. That's pretty african violet! I'm not good at keeping them! I have killed 3 of them! ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Malar! I have killed many African violets before also. Thank goodness I found a great spot for the plant now :-)

      Delete
  5. ohhh..
    How I wish you would give a tutorial how to care and take care of them in the tropical.
    Those terrariums looks so lovely..
    My project on them - coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I grew and killed so many AV before this one. Whenever I get a new African violet, I just don't grow it at the same spot as before ;-) Happy creating your own terrarium!

      Delete
  6. Your plants are doing great. I've planted African violets too. They are lovely but for now I'm concentrating on bigger plants as I'm doing my own landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiletto ElsieXie, I have always enjoyed reading about your plants. They are all so wonderful ;-) Happy doing your own landscaping!

      Delete
  7. I love your flowers especially Azalea in orange and Afican violet in purple.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ela. The orange one is either a Crossandra or Crucifix orchid :-)

      Delete
  8. Steph, I love your African violets (such an intoxicating color) and your terrariums are handsome. I'm thinking of growing Utricularia species in a terrarium, which brings me to ask—how are your sarracenias doing?


    I have a new project that I'm sure you, as a most avid gardener, will be interested in. It's a seed germination database blog. It's called The Magic of Seeds and you can get the link from my blog roll at the serendipitous garden. Tell me what you think of the new web site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Prospero! How are you? Hope you had a great start into the new year! I got came back from 'Seed Sorcery'. Love it :-D Re my sarracenia, it is still in my porch, 'alive and kicking' hehe... Its roots have grown so much and they look like roots of an aquatic plant. But it has lesser pitchers now.

      Delete
    2. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the SeedSorcery site. I'm not sure I have enough material to keep up the one-post-a-day pace, but I'll see where it takes me. Right now I have quite a few tiny mesembs to document. The plants are such fun to grow from seed, but you need to be well organized since you are liable to have 100 tiny pots to water and shuffle around.

      This is one example of a mesemb I grew from seed. It's called "Baby Toes" and it's a riot to grow. Lithops are great too. I'll be posting about them soon.
      http://seedsorcery.com/?p=106

      I wish I had your cool nights. Summer evenings in Bermuda are so warm and muggy. I may have to bring certain plants inside!

      Delete
    3. Thank you and keep posting if time permits. It will be so interesting to see how your site is going to show seeds sprout and little seedlings grow to mature into a beautiful plant. Btw, my comments are still waiting for your moderation ;-) Keep cool with cold water hehe...

      Delete
  9. Stephanie I am loving your terrariums! So pretty. I need to try one. I made one for my Grandma when I was a girl and she had it for years. Congrats on that violet. Lovely blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lona! Wow! You created terrariums when you were a girl?! I am still so amazed by how the plants inside the bottle would just thrive and thrive though I have understood the science behind it. Btw, thank you for your compliments :-)

      Delete
  10. Tenha uma florida semana.
    beijos.
    http://eueminhasplantinhas.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! The African Violet looks stunning! Two of mine survived, and bloomed flowers this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yay! I bet yours look really wonderful when they were blooming :-)

      Delete
  12. Thank you, bio carve! You made my day :-D

    ReplyDelete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *